Solidarity with African transport unions
The ITF’s African membership now embraces all regions of the continent and all of the main language groups, including English, French, Arabic and Portuguese.
Trade union rights violations or the lack of union rights is an increasing challenge to our region, the greatest chance to change this is to build effective national coordination. Almost every African country with more than two affiliates now has an ITF coordinating committee. Sub-regional committees have also been established to strengthen communication between countries.
Our priorities are to:
- expand union membership;
- confront the AIDS/HIV threat;
- promote women’s trade union participation;
- promote young workers’ trade union participation;
- map hubs and corridors with ITF-trained women and young workers;
- strengthen unions through national coordination work to strengthen solidarity;
- Improve communication awareness and capacity
The ITF African regional office is in Nairobi, Kenya. Our representative for Francophone and Ecowas countries is based in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire.