About the ITF
The International Transport Workers' Federation (ITF) is a democratic global union federation working to improve the lives of transport workers globally, encouraging and organising international solidarity among its network of affiliates. We represent the interests of 665 transport workers' unions representing over 18 million workers in 147 countries worldwide.
The ITF Head Office is based in London. International offices include Amman, Hong Kong, Montreal, Nairobi, New Delhi, Abidjan, Rio de Janeiro, Singapore, Tokyo and Sydney.
For more information about the ITF and what we do, please see here.
About the role
The ITF is now looking for a dynamic Maritime Communications Manager who will help enhance the organisation’s position as a global voice of labour, mobilise support for the ITF’s campaigns, and to develop communications, media and digital organising strategies that advance the ITF’s three strategic directions:
- Growing and activating our membership
- Campaigning innovatively
- Influencing global and regional policy
In the role, the Maritime Communications Manager will be expected to work with the Communications Director and Maritime Coordinator to deliver communications strategies across ITF’s maritime sections and departments with clear vision, objectives and priorities.
This position will be responsible for integrating new media and digital tools to organise, advocate on our issues, content creation, increasing member and community engagement, and actively generate media interest in our campaigns.
The mission and values of the ITF are of utmost importance and as such, the successful candidate for this role must hold high ethical standards, displaying diligence and integrity when representing the organisation.
We are looking for a flexible and creative individual with strong commitment to social justice and trade unions. High-level verbal and written communication skills, including a collaborative approach to working with others and a high level of discretion, diplomacy, and judgment in a complex and sensitive environment will be vital.
The Maritime Communications Manager will work collaboratively with ITF’s communications, campaigning, organising and maritime teams to expand our reach, build support for our campaigns, and drive online and offline engagement and activation of our members
The successful candidate will have:
- Proven experience in communications, digital communications, and media relations with a keen interest in new media and online campaigning tools with an openness to expanding skills in this area
- A creative and strategic approach to telling the ITF story to a wide range of audiences, across multiple platforms and in many different circumstances
- Experience leading and supporting a team; someone who can provide long-term vision and also inspire and motivate on a daily basis
- Knowledge of developing and supporting strategic campaigns using both traditional and various social media platforms
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of another major language is a welcome asset
- Experience from trade unions, international organisations or the social movement
- Strong management skills and experience, to lead a diverse team to deliver change and achieve the department’s objectives.
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary, international travel and other great benefits.
To apply, please send your CV and cover Letter to email@example.com. The application deadline is 24 February 2020 with interviews due to take place week commencing 9 March 2020.
View the job description here.
ITF operates as an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, disability, age, political opinions or trade union membership.