About the ITF
The International Transport Workers' Federation (ITF) is a democratic global union federation working to improve the lives of transport workers globally, encouraging and organising international solidarity among its network of affiliates. We represent the interests of 665 transport workers' unions representing over 18 million workers in 147 countries worldwide.
The ITF Head Office is based in Borough, London. International offices include Amman, Hong Kong, Montreal, Nairobi, New Delhi, Ouagadougou, Rio de Janeiro, Singapore, Tokyo and Sydney.
About the role
We are now looking for a driven and dynamic Communications Director to lead the ITF’s strategic communications planning, implement and evaluate our communications work, and lead and develop our creative communications team.
Reporting directly to our Assistant General Secretary, the Communications Director will be pivotal in enhancing the organisation’s position as a global voice of labour, mobilising support for the ITF’s campaigns, and developing strategies that advance the ITF’s three strategic directions:
- Growing and activating our membership
- Campaigning innovatively
- Influencing global and regional policy
You will be expected to develop and deliver a compelling, multi-channel communications strategy with a clear vision of key messages, objectives and priorities, as well as plans to support strategic communications planning in the organisation at the direction of the General Secretary (GS) and Executive Board (EB) that engages target audiences and leads to measurable action.
You will help strengthen the ITF’s position as the voice of transport workers globally through:
- Leading the strategic development and implementation of ITF’s global communications, media relations and digital communications strategies
- Managing content creation on all ITF channels with a strategic approach that engages target audiences and leads to measurable action
- Developing strategies that activate growth and strengthen ITF’s campaigning and digital organising capacity
- Ensuring a high-impact internal communication
- Effectively leading and inspiring the communications team
- Managing budgets and resources
The ITF is a global organisation and the Communications Director is expected to liaise across borders to maximise communications input and output, as well as providing specialist communications support to all parts of the organisation.
The successful candidate will have:
- Proven experience in communications, digital communications, and media relations with a keen interest in all the possibilities it provides
- A creative and strategic approach to telling the ITF story to a wide range of audiences, across multiple platforms and in many different circumstances
- Experience leading and developing a team; someone who can provide long-term vision and also inspire and motivate on a daily basis
- Experience developing and supporting strategic campaigns using both traditional and digital tactics
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of another major language is a welcome asset
- Experience from trade unions, international organisations or the social movement
- With a patient perseverance to deliver change and lead and inspire
Salary and benefits
This role offers a competitive salary, international travel and other great benefits.
To apply, please send your CV and Cover Letter through to email@example.com. The application deadline is 9 August 2019 with interviews due to take place week commencing 2 September in London.
ITF operates as an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, disability, age, political opinions or trade union membership.