Skip to main content

ITF slams “outrageous” 30-year prison sentences for seafarers

ニュース 記者発表資料

Captain and chief mate sentenced without evidence to connect them to drugs found on vessel, after spending year in prison with crew awaiting trial. 

The International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF) condemns the decision to sentence two seafarers to 30 years’ imprisonment, after drugs were found on a vessel docked in the Black Sea port of Ereğli, Turkey, in October last year. 

Captain Marko Bekavac and Chief Mate Ali Albokhari of the Phoenician M, who have spent a year in remand prison in Ankara, were sentenced to 30 years on Monday despite no evidence of wrongdoing.   

The court did not immediately explain the decision to punish the captain and chief mate, stating that the sentence is based on ‘command responsibility’. According to Turkish law, the reasons for this decision must be provided by the judge within one month. 

The Panama-flagged vessel was transporting coal from Colombia when police found 137kg of cocaine on board. The drugs were initially reported as on board the ship in the aft peak tank and seized by the authorities in Colombia.  

An investigation was not launched at the time and the court did not seek any information from the Colombian authorities, despite the objections of lawyers in Turkey. 

The captain immediately informed the ship owner of the discovery before leaving port. However, upon arrival in Ereğli, Turkish police found more cocaine in the cargo hold 2. There is also no information in the file about how the police knew there were more drugs on board and where to find them.  

The crew learnt of the destination of the ship only three days in advance, and Captain Bekavac claims to have requested additional cameras and security before loading the cargo in Colombia. The company did not respond to his request. 

No fingerprints belonging to the crew were found on any of the bags containing drugs on the ship.  

General Secretary of ITF affiliate, the Croatian Seafarers' Union, Neven Melvan, said: “This decision is outrageous and shows a complete lack of understanding and respect for what seafarers do.  

“This seems to be another case where local officials, keen to look effective against drug trafficking, are targeting seafarers on alleged smuggling charges despite a complete lack of evidence.” 

Eight other members of the 20-person crew from the Philippines, Poland and Russia were also arrested and spent a year in prison, before all charges against them were dismissed at the hearing for lack of evidence.   

This raises questions about why these crew members, some of whom had no responsibilities relating to cargo loading, were held in prison for a year if there was not sufficient evidence to convict. 

In court, the crew spoke of their desperation to return home to their families – many of whom rely solely on their income.  

ITF Seafarers’ Section Chair and President of the Seafarers International Union of North America, David Heindel, said: “The criminalisation of seafarers has become commonplace.  

“We see case after case just like this one: seafarers are treated like criminals, held for months on end without trial, and handed outrageous sentences for crimes they did not commit - a gross abuse of their human rights.  

“This is the only profession in the world where people are guilty until proven innocent.” 

The ITF is calling on the global maritime community to challenge this decision and stand up for the rights of seafarers.   

Heindel added: “We will fight this decision until acquittal.” 

END   

 

About the ITF:The International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF) is a democratic, affiliate-led federation recognised as the world’s leading transport authority. We fight passionately to improve working lives; connecting trade unions from over 150 countries to secure rights, equality and justice for their members. We are the voice for nearly 16.5 million working women and men in the transport industry across the world. 

Media contact: Rosalyn Smith +44752 222 9623 media@itf.org.uk 

 

 

現場の声

ニュース 記者発表資料

韓国のセーフレート制復活を歓迎する ー  確実な履行と適用範囲の拡大が必要

韓国でコンテナ輸送とバルク・セメント輸送にセーフレート制が導入されることは、トラック運転手の公正な賃金、良質な雇用、安全確保のための重要な一歩である。  ITF はセーフレート制(ドライバーの全労働時間に適正な賃金を保証する制度)の再導入を歓迎する。セーフレートが一時的に廃止された 2022 年以降、輸送業界は危険なコストカット圧力に悩まされてきた。  この間、値下げ競争が急速に復活し、運賃は
ニュース 記者発表資料

ITFとドミニカ共和国が労働条件改善に向け連携

国際運輸労連(ITF)は、労働権の保護促進、社会対話の強化、ドミニカ共和国の交通運輸セクターの労働条件の改善を目的として、ドミニカ共和国の労働省と覚書(MoU)を締結し、同国と新たなパートナーシップを構築しつつある。 本覚書に基づき、ITFとドミニカ共和国は、特に労働移動率が高く、国家経済にとって極めて重要な運輸・物流・観光などの分野において、労働法規や国際労働基準の全国的な遵守を確保するため
ニュース

ITF、米国によるベネズエラ攻撃を非難

国際運輸労連( ITF )は、ベネズエラに対して行われた米軍の侵略に断固抗議する。今回の米国の行動は、事態を深刻化させることが憂慮され、国家主権、国際法、平和と民族自決の基本原則を明らかに侵害する行為だ。 米軍の攻撃により軍人と民間人が死亡しており、さらなる暴力と生命の損失を直ちに食い止める必要性が浮き彫りになっている。 ITF の パディ・クラムリン会長は、「この行為はベネズエラの政治的