Skip to main content

Seafarers used as patsies by governments

27 Aug 2019
Press Release
The International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF) has serious concerns over the lack of understanding shown by many governments in relation to international shipping and the role played by seafarers.

A recent message from the US State Department to the maritime industry, stating that it will invoke anti-terrorism legislation to deny seafarers a US visa if they work on board a vessel carrying Iranian oil, is an example of how little governments understand seafarers’ reality. The statement from the US comes after the tanker Grace 1, now named Adrian Darya, was released by Gibraltarian authorities after the country received assurances that the vessel would not violate EU sanctions.

Dave Heindel, ITF seafarers section chair, expressed his frustration at the statement, saying: “As a global union federation, we recognise that geopolitical issues and official sanctions are beyond our purview. However, it is also beyond the purview of a seafarer to expect him or her to have any influence over the destination of a vessel or its cargo.”

“Seafarers, whether they are ratings or officers, rarely know where the vessel is bound. Ordinarily a vessel is instructed by the ship management company to sail a certain course with further directions to be given later. If a vessel is directed to an Iranian port, it’s common that the captain will be the only one who knows the destination a day or two before. The crew, especially ratings and lower-ranking officers, will not know and have no possibility to refuse or disembark the vessel during the voyage.”

“In addition, seafarers usually have no idea who actually owns the vessel on which they are working, much less who owns the cargo. This is why the ITF has been campaigning since 1948 against the flags of convenience (FoC) system that dominates the shipping industry and allows vessel owners who should be held responsible to hide behind a veil of secrecy.

“It is unjust to blankly refuse visas to seafarers who may have been employed on board a vessel considered in breach of sanctions, and it does not hold the right people responsible. Governments, including the US, should rather direct their focus to the FoC system and change the rules that allow this system and its secretive ownership laws to flourish unimpeded.”

Post new comment

Restricted HTML

• Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Alex Jacob
2 months ago

Being a seafarer is a very dangerous job, you don't know what kind of problems you'll get into in the middle of the sea, there's the nature aspect and the terrorism or pirate attack.
ev3 drag racing

Noah Watson
1 month 4 weeks ago

I totally agree. To the seafarers, they are just there for work and has nothing to do with the sanctions. eddy water descaler

Mazikeen Williams
1 month 4 weeks ago

I couldn't agree more, they should give importance to all seafarers and understand their nature of work in a bigger picture. They are basically risking their lives. septic tank service jacksonville fl

Mike L.
1 month 3 weeks ago

Wow, this is news to me. Just goes to show how important gathering the proper information in order to understand the whole picture of things before coming to a decision that can impact others in a possible negative way.
Mike, regina tree service

Horea Kaii
1 month 3 weeks ago

Seafarers must be given some protection against matters that would cause them harm. roofing contractors near me

Cassandra D. Everhart
1 month 2 weeks ago

You've touched upon a rather sensitive subject here but you managed to do it flawlessly. towing service

fredluis
1 month 2 weeks ago

fredluis
1 month 2 weeks ago

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too Shopping Saver Australia complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it! carpet cleaners

Brielle Luna
1 month 1 week ago

Many people think that being a seafarer is like living in heaven but here's a truth. Some of them gets sick and has to know the cost of stem cell therapy, some of them are hostaged, or some are even dead without knowing their whereabouts.

try this
1 month ago

This website has a good article and alot of content.thanks alot god blessed.try this