This week marks International Railway Workers’ Day and the start of our Global Action Week for safe and sustainable rail.
This week of action - now an annual event for the ITF - is a time for uniting railway workers around the world and their unions in fighting for key issues including safety, investment, expansion, decent work, and equality.
At our Railways section conference in Johannesburg earlier this month, we set our vision for the world’s railways – a system which functions on behalf of people, with workers and passengers at the heart of decision-making.
Our vision is long term, recognising rail’s place in creating a sustainable future. But this Week of Action is a time to show that we are united and strong in our fight.
Over the course of the week, railway unions around the world will be taking a wide range of actions and activities, such as:
- Organising a meeting, rally or demonstration to take place during the action week.
- Taking a photo of your members holding the Action Week sign.
- Using the hashtags #SAFEANDSUSTAINABLERAIL and #GlobalActionWeekforRail on social media.
- Following @ITFglobalunion and sharing ITF posts.
- Distributing the campaign flyer to members and the public.
- Using the campaign vision document and briefing papers for creating website and magazine articles about the campaign.
- Encouraging members and delegates to display the campaign poster in their workplaces.
You can see a round up of last year's Week of Action here:
Resources and campaign materials are available for download here: