Skip to main content

Tanzania informal transport workers boost union membership

27 Feb 2019

An ITF affiliate in Tanzania has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with a bodaboda (motorbike taxi) association in Dar es salaam, boosting its membership by around 250.

The MoU was signed on 20 February by the Communication and Transport Workers' Union of Tanzania (COTWU-T) and the Matangini Michungwani King’ongo (MMK) association.

The union intensified discussions in October 2018 with the MMK’s leadership and it carried out some interviews and surveys. During these sessions, the MMK’s twelve-member leadership raised issues such as lack of an education programme, weak bargaining power and the absence of social protection for the bodaboda workers.

ITF executive board member and secretary general of the COTWU-T, Juliana Mpanduji, said: “Our efforts have always been focused on reaching out to all transport workers, especially those in the informal sector.

We are delighted with this MoU because it will give us stronger negotiating power with our allies, partners and governmental institutions, as we continue improving on the working conditions of all workers.”

The informal sector employs a large number of people across Africa. With a potential membership of over 50,000 workers in Dar es salaam, the union is embarking on an ambitious programme of education and organising.

ITF Africa deputy regional secretary Anna Karume said: “We welcome this development, which is in line with one of the main strategic elements that was adopted at the last ITF congress in October 2018 - activating mass membership.

“We are also proud to see the ITF’s informal sector project and the affiliate mentorship programmes continuing to bear fruit in Africa.”

Post new comment

Restricted HTML

• Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.

Shanitah Birungi
1 month 3 weeks ago

Very good, am proud of you..........we need to retain them too! Capacity building is also needed.

UY
1 week 5 days ago

I һve been browsing online more than 3 hours today,
yet I neer found any intereѕting article like уours. It is ρretty worth enough for me.
In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good
contеnt as you did, the web wwill be much more uѕeful than ever Ьеfoгe.

Feell free to visit my web site: agen judi bola

HO
1 week 5 days ago

This іs very fascinating, You're aan ovefly professional blogger.
I have joined your feed aand look forward to searching for extra of your magnificent post.
Also, I've shared your sitе in my socіal networks

Here iѕ my website :: judi bola

BR
1 week 5 days ago

I'm gone to cߋnvеy my little brother, that he should also pay a visit
this ᴡebsite onn regular basis to obtain updatеd rom hottest reports.

Stop by my web pаge :: baca disini

NQ
1 week 4 days ago

My ѕpouse and I absolutely l᧐ve y᧐ur blog
and find the majority of yoyr post's to be what precisely I'm looking for.
Would you offer guest writgers to wгite content for you
personally? I wouldn't mind creating a plst or elaborating οn many off the subjects you write with regards to
hеrе.Аgаin, awesome web site!

Feel frеe to surf to my web-site :: harga titan gel pembesar

RW
5 days 10 hours ago

Wow, thіs article is pleasant, my youngeг sister iss analyzing these kinds of things, therefore I am goiing to tell her.

my web blog; flores tour - Xbhgift.com,

Bottax Kenya
1 month 3 weeks ago

Congratulations to our brothers and sisters from Tanzania, we need to organise the informal transport sector so as to strengthen union membership across the globe.