About the campaign
It’s an opportunity for unions all over the world - men and women - to stand together, support their female members and address the issues facing women transport industry workers in every sector.
This year, alongside the other activities taking place, we are calling on unions to stand in solidarity with trade union leader Jimena Lopez, sacked from her cabin crew job for her union activities.
Why Jimena Lopez?
Jimena is a woman leader
Jimena Lopez is general secretary and founder of SITA (Sindicato de Trabajadores de Aerolane) representing cabin crew at LAN Ecuador. Jimena is one of the women union leaders around the world fighting tirelessly for the rights of her members, women and men. She is an example of the extensive role women can play in their unions when they have the means and opportunity.
Jimena has been sacked for being a trade unionist
Jimena was dismissed from her position after a successful union organising drive in LAN Ecuador, part of the LATAM holding group. This is blatant anti-union action which can’t be tolerated.
We can win this fight together
There has already been widespread action in support of Jimena Lopez and it’s having an impact. International Women’s Day is a chance to further highlight and enhance this case to the trade union movement and beyond to get Jimena reinstated and stop the attacks on her union.
Find out more about the latest developments on the campaign timeline.
What can you do?
Use the action buttons at the right of this screen to:
- Join the solidarity network so you stay up to date with the latest on this and other ITF campaigns and actions.
- Send a letter of protest to LATAM.
- Share this page on your own social media channels.
- Support the Jimena Lopez LabourStart campaign
Tell us what you’ll be doing to show solidarity with Jimena Lopez on International Women’s Day and share your photos and videos on 8 March. You can do this in a number of ways:
- Via the ‘post your comment’ tab on the right of this page
- By emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- By sharing or posting to Facebook.com/itfglobal
- By tagging us on twitter @itfglobalunion using the hashtag #IWD
Need inspiration? Here’s some of the action from 2014.