About the campaign
Over the past few years, more ITF affiliates have reported incidents of physical, emotional and sexual abuse against women members than ever before. The problem is a collective union responsibility that requires a collective union response. It’s up to us to put the necessary strategies in place to end violence against women.
Get behind the campaign
The International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) is co-ordinating the campaign. Its objective is to achieve an International Labour Organization (ILO) convention on gender-based violence at work.
We’re calling for affiliate unions to get behind the campaign on 25 November 2014, which is UN International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.
To find out how the ILO convention could make a difference to your members, download the ITUC campaign leaflet.
To date, nine members of the ILO governing body have expressed strong support for the proposal: Canada, Cuba, Germany, India, Italy, the Netherlands, Sri Lanka, USA, and Uruguay.
Find out who else is a member of the ILO governing body. (Details available in English, French and Spanish)
How you can help today
- Contact member(s) of the ILO governing body, asking them to support an ILO convention
- Encourage your members to [complete the survey on violence against women transport workers in the workplace
- Share your survey results with us, plus any responses from government ministers, to help shape our global campaign
- Send a letter from your union to government ministers requesting their support. You can use our letter template, including survey results if you have them
- Circulate a petition to be signed in support of an ILO convention
- Other ideas are contained within the ITUC campaign leaflet
To order campaign posters, stickers, ribbons and calendars, complete our online order form.
Keep us updated
When you fill out the order form for campaign materials, tell us about any activities that you’ve got planned for UN International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. We’ll highlight your events on the ITF website.
Share your actions and achievements
We’d love to shout about your campaigning on the ITF website – send us any photos and/or videos from your campaign activity.
Email your stories to firstname.lastname@example.org